RMH Shares its Proposals for Alder Hey
Ronald McDonald House Charities UK has announced a multi-million-pound refurbishment of its 83-bedroom House in Liverpool. AEW are proud to be leading on design proposals for the refurbishment – continuing our 16 year relationship across the charity’s estate.
The charity provides free accommodation for the families of children being treated at nearby hospitals, with the Liverpool House supporting the Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. The announcement was made at an exclusive event at the House on Thursday 14 September, which was attended by families, staff and longstanding supporters of the Charity – including AEW.
The major improvement project will see more than £11 million invested in the building to ensure the 30-year-old building can continue to meet the needs of families and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital for many years to come.
The refurbishment will include:
- A complete refit of all bedrooms and ensuite bathroom replacements
- Adding family kitchens to each floor
- The creation of interconnecting rooms for larger / blended families
- Improving the dayroom facilities to allow for more families to make use of the house and offer complementary services such as hairdressing, yoga and family support
- A relandscaped garden with new, dedicated space for families to relax and children to play
The design has been driven by feedback from families who’ve stayed in one of the Charity’s 14 Houses across the UK, as well as advice from the House staff. Discussions with NHS partners at Alder Hey and across the Charity’s network have also helped to inform design decisions. We have also used our knowledge and experience from the delivery and upgrade of other Houses nationwide, such as the recently completed Manchester Day Room, to inspire our proposals.
We look forward to continuing to develop our proposals and see the improvements benefit the more than 900 families who stay there each year.